Sunday, May 20, 2007

Furniture Anxiety

Ever since Turbo put the finishing touches on my last apartment, I've hated my dusty old furniture, which seemed tired and worn-out by comparison.

I finally worked up the nerve to throw some of it away and buy newer (but still cheap) IKEA furniture. I succeeded in buying half a desk and a chair on Friday.

Yes, half a desk. IKEA had the legs in stock, but not the table top. So I am going to IKEA on a Sunday--yes, a mobbed Sunday--to acquire the top.

I'm stressed about it because my ugly old desk has the exact right size keyboard tray. It holds both my keyboard and my Wacom tablet. The IKEA trays only hold the keyboard. It will take some getting used to. I don't know if I'm overreacting to my ugly old furniture problem. I don't even know how long I'll be living in Yancey's apartment. But I do have a job and an income unlike the last six years where I was scrounging for money to pay my accountant to put it in writing that I've been living under the poverty line, so I've justified buying a desk, a bookcase, and a $25 chair.

(The chair turned out to be so comfortable that when I sat down in it to test it out, I fell asleep.)

While cleaning out my old desk, I've come across lots of little slips of papers. Here are some of them, currently destined for my new IKEA wastebasket.



1 comment:

Marie Javins said...

It's scary to drive up Route 1 with massive furniture on top of your car!