Friday, May 02, 2008

What, Me, Snarky?

cover
Writer Edward Readicker-Henderson has a new book out. It's called Under the Protection of the Cow Demon and I wrote a pull quote for the back cover.

I wrote something about the book being a romantic poetry of place. Had he, however, already written his PerceptiveTravel.com article on Strip Passport when I sent him my review, I might have written something like this.

"Catch me if you can, but prepare to shiver!"

Check his article out. In it, he lets on that I'm secretly (okay, not so secretly) snarky, and claims that I flew to Bahrain to eat bacon.

6 comments:

Steven R. Stahl said...

I'm guessing that you didn't go to Bahrain *just* to get bacon, but that you were thrilled (?) to see a can of the stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't make a tremendous effort to buy meat or poultry when I could buy substitutes instead (Peking vegetarian roast duck tastes good), but--finding meat substitutes in the Middle East might not be easy(?)

SRS

Marie Javins said...

I absolutely did NOT go to Bahrain to eat bacon. I went to see an old friend, who was a dean at NYIT there. Now he's moved to a branch in UAE.

I don't remember seeing any meat substitutes in Kuwait, but there may have been some. As someone allergic to soy, I avoid that stuff like the plague. I'll take bacon over hives any day!

Anonymous said...

I have the "I'm going to Bahrain to eat bacon" emails, you know. I never delete anything.

e

Steven R. Stahl said...

Allergic to soy? That’s too bad. I’m not a vegetarian—I actually mix meat, poultry, and seafood with meat substitutes in stir-fry dishes--but the veggie burgers can taste good by themselves.

If you like mushrooms, those are certainly good eating, and good for you (see, e.g., http://www.christopherhobbs.com/website/library/articles/article_files/mushrooms_med_02.html I eat shiitake mushrooms routinely, and credit my soy- and mushroom-heavy diet in part for my ability to burn more than 3,000 calories a day at age 50.

SRS

Don said...

Define "snarky".

Amanda Castleman said...

E: you never exaggerate anything eiher...