Saturday, August 30, 2008

Copper Canyon Photos


I posted some Copper Canyon photos from the Mexico part of TurboTour 2002.

This was the trip that Turbo the Aussie and I took cross-country in Henry the 1990 Ford Taurus. We bought Henry in Torrance, CA, and filled his trunk up with camping gear.

When we got to El Paso, we parked Henry in a public lot, packed a few PB&J sandwiches, wished him well, and caught a bus to Chihuahua. I can't remember the details now (Steve B tells me
my memory is slipping due to too much multi-tasking, and I suspect he is correct), but fortunately, I posted a travelogue on GoNomad.com.

I remember being amazed that it was only $25 to get on a bus in El Paso and get off the bus deep in Mexico. We couldn't afford the first-class tourist train, but the second-class train was pretty great, plus we were surrounded by locals.

After an afternoon and night in Chihuahua, we boarded the train to the colonial-style town of El Fuerte. A few days later, we caught the train to the rim town of Creel, where we took a day hike down into the canyon.

I don't really remember why, but we had our biggest (and only serious?) fight there, in the bottom of that canyon. I remember hyperventilating, which was new to me then and has only happened one other time in my life. Both times involved arguments with men I was seriously involved with. So I guess we can conclude that I am tough as nails when it involves emergencies, danger, and border guards, but throw romance into the picture and I become a puddle. For what that's worth.

No comments: