Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Strategic Train-Riding

The new double-decker Moroccan high-speed trains were gorgeous. I'd seen one the day before when I'd gone from Fez to Meknes.

How can I get onto one of those trains?

I craved the novelty of the new. I studied the online schedules. I added up the number of hours between Fez and Rabat, the capital city on the Atlantic coast.

That one.

The 9:50 train made the run in 2 hours, 22 minutes. The others? Almost 3 hours.

I caught a taxi to the gare, bought a first class ticket, and sat in the shade of an open-air coffee shop in front of the station, enjoying a cappuccino and croissant. Imperialism is bad, I know, but I've had brilliant French bread and coffee in both Vietnam and Morocco. I won't deny that it's mighty tasty.

Time to board! A man at the entrance to the tracks checked my tickets. I could see the double-decker train waiting across the tracks.

Down the stairs... damn backpack... damn knees... under the tracks... up the stairs (that's not as bad).

Into the First Class car. Quiet. Empty. Air-conditioned. There's even a waiter who would bring me coffee if I hadn't just had some!

Man, this train is swank.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those seats are pretty narrow.. like a U.S. airline. What's the deal with keeping the head-pillows attached on the window seats?

Don Hudson said...

Looks like they are kept on with velcro!

Ed Ward said...

Looks just like a French TGV. And, of course, probably is.