Friday, September 13, 2013

Home Is Where the OHOTMU Is

Before I was completely immersed in the world of Thor, I was solidly buried in Captain America.

I'm editing this prose novel written by my old friend Larry Hama. I've known him since January of 1988 when he'd stop by the Epic intern's desk (mine) to help me do the daily NYTimes crossword puzzle. He wrote a little comic book called Wolverine and another one called G.I. something. Maybe you've heard of one of those.

Larry wrote a highly entertaining, tight, and atmospheric novel last year, and after I read it, I became determined to get him onto one of the Marvel prose novels I've been working on with my colleagues Stuart, Jeff, and Axel. I was a little annoying about it, even, until Stuart agreed to read chapters from Larry's novel.

I can't share a preview with you, so you can't read it yet, but I can tell you this much. Larry asked me a question about SHIELD's gear the other day, and neither of us were able to locate what we needed online or on Marvel's digital archive. So I headed over to my garage to dig out some things I nearly threw away a few years ago, some things I never expected to need again, as recently as a few years ago.

Freelance editing and writing for Marvel isn't a turn I expected at this point in my life. But it fits better than gloves or old shoes. It fits like home.


No comments: